Deathwatch (and really other existing RPGs)

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Well it just occurs to me that tabletop RPGs can translate really well onto forums, and if I offered to run one (preferably Deathwatch as I have the rules for that), would anyone play?

Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 am

As for Deathwatch, I'm not really sure what that is actually.

But for the concept of using tabletop rps as Pax RP's, that sounds pretty cool. They certainly seem quite transferable, and every tabletop RPG is different right? It could put a rather neat spin on things.

I'd try it.
Last edited by Coolpikaaa on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 am

Oooh, ooh, I would I would

*cough*

Bit overenthusiastic, I suppose, but anyway. Yep, I would definitely be up for trying this out. :)

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Tav » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 am

Deathwatch was the WH40k one, right? I've never tried it, but I'd be willing to join!

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Yup, Deathwatch is where you play more elite than usual space marines who are members of the titular Deathwatch. They're a part of the Ordos Xenos (Alien Hunters). It's great to see some interest! If you wanna play then gimme a PM and I'll send you everything you'll need (from character sheets to... other resources if you want them).

So when would you be available to start playing? I could get started writing a mission if it's soon. Also, feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Why do they have a division specifically dedicated to hunting aliens, and are the aliens dumb/sentient/sapient/all three? Though, if we're not supposed to know that bit then, that's fine too XD.

As for when I'll be available, hm, pretty soon. Probably better after the winter holidays for me but I'm sure I can do earlier too ^_^

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:33 pm

The Inquisition has three major divisions, Ordos Xenos (Alien Hunters), Ordos Malleus (Daemon hunters) and the Ordos Hereticus (Witch Hunters).
Each division has one particularly large or powerful group connected to it, the Deathwatch hunt out aliens and are comprised of the best Space Marines of almost every chapter, The Grey Knights are a special chapter of space marines who destroy the daemons of the warp, and the Sisters of Battle (or Adeptus Sororitas) BURN THE HERETICS! *ahem*

So Deathwatch obviously focuses on... the Deathwatch. Each player is a member, and it's members are formed into small groups known as kill teams. They are the last resort, and that can mean the tide of the battle depends on them or that they have been sent to purge a world of the taint that has infected it, known as Exterminatus.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/127/4/b/Exterminatus_by_Dragon_Cultist.jpg
Funny picture for affect. :P

A couple of things to note about Deathwatch characters. The 40K fluff is that all Marines are male, due to the process of genetically engineering them. For fluff purists, the alternative is to run a Sister of Battle character (who are more badass anyway :P), but if you quite understandably find the whole thing ridiculous I'm fine with female marines, though I'd wanna come up with a (reasonable) fluffy reason for it. Not hard, just use the custom chapter system to create a unique chapter that for one reason or another ended up creating female marines.

Now Space Marines are individual people obviously, but it should be noted that they are incredibly loyal to the Emperor, almost to the point of fanaticism. You will not get any marines even joking about betraying the Emperor or some such. Such words are heresy and will get you executed on the spot! Unless you're dive bombing your character into the depths of Chaos, in which case go nuts (there's even a system and whole other RPG for it!)

If you need any inspiration or background knowledge, get your answers here: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page#.TukgDWPK0UU

As for what the Aliens are like, most are very sentient indeed.
There are the Eldar, the second oldest race in the galaxy (and space elves, but shhh!). Read Also Dark Eldar
There are the Necrons, oldest race in the galaxy and an unstoppable legion of merciless machines with an Egyptian vibe. (In Deathwatch they've not officially arrived yet, so don't expect to encounter them often)
There are the Orks, a violent bunch of mushrooms (Seriously, they spore and everything) who's technology only works because they truly believe it should.
There are the Tau, who are essentially space communists created to bring in the Japanese market with big mechs and what not (who much prefer fantasy as it turns out!)
And finally there are Tyranids, a hive mind of bug monsters set on devouring all life everywhere.

And those are just the tabletop armies! There are plenty more obscure aliens to wipe out too. :P

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Tav » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am

I have little to do lately, so I'd be up for doing it anytime, or in the immediate future. We could probably also use the IRC channel, even though it's fallen into disuse.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

The IRC channel could be good for quick bits of RPing, maybe combat and such. Good idea!

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 am

Some notes for people who may want to make a custom chapter:

*Whilst the rest of the Imperium worships the Emperor as a god, the Adeptus Astartes recognise that he his not a god, but still a being of supreme power. They respect him as their progenitor and the perfect embodiment of mankind, however different chapters have different views on the Emperor. Most take this view, some are more fanatic than others (such as the Black Templars), others mostly respect them as some would respect their father (like the Space Wolves, who call him the All Father).

*Each Chapter stems from a First Founding Chapter (Appart from the First Founding chapters, which originated from their Primarchs obviously), Most chapters being second founding. Your First Founding Chapter is important, as it will help us work out what kind of Chapter yours is, and what kind of in game effects we can give your character. This is the list of All the First Founding Chapters (Both Loyalist and Chaos): http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/First_Founding

And yes, it's absolutely fine to want your Chapter to stem from a Chaos Chapter, as many members of the chaos legions chose to remain loyal. Those that did not get killed usually were absorbed into the other chapters, however there are a few chapters who stem from these chapters. They stay deadly silent about this however, lest they be declared renegade. A good example of this is the Blood Ravens, maybe. It's only been hinted (though very heavily), but they may stem from the Thousand Sons. Both chapters have a high number of Psykers, both have a unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and the Blood Ravens have no idea who their Primarch is... officially. The last Dawn of War: Dark Crusade suggests that a relic they were after was damning evidence of this, and they were DESPERATE to stop the Imperial Guard getting it.

So yea, go nuts! Just be aware of the possible ramifications for a dark past.

*They are soldiers first and foremost, but they do have their own characteristics. The Blood Angels are master artisans whilst The Space Wolves are Vikings in space! Not all Space Marines chapters look favourably towards normal humans either, The Iron Hands feel they are weak and almost worthless, whilst the Salamanders will fight to the death to protect the innocent. Most chapters have interesting quirks (The Black Templars will almost always kill a Psyker on sight, and Blood Angels have a habit of going into a bloodthristy craze). Except the Ultramarines, they're dull as rocks.

*So long as you don't make a chapter of Mary Sues (*coughULTRAMARINES*cough*) it'll probably be fine. Don't worry about crunch, we'll work that out after we have the fluff down (far more important I feel).

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Oh wow, I just heard a brilliant idea for combat. Rather than just using dice rolls as per normal the players get bonuses based on how well they describe their actions. XD

Silly idea from the YogPod or good role play incentive? I may have to experiment. :D

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Actually I think that's a pretty good idea, certainly a good incentive for text based RPing.

I do have one question though-what does crunch mean? XD.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Rules and in game effects. The fluff is the background, the crunch is the more "real" effect.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Tav » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Haha, I suppose being part of the Alpha Legion infiltrating deathwatch for some reason or other would be too contrary to the rest of the group. But then again, if I was planning this, I'd just PM Borg with 'hey I wanna be Alpha Legion' instead of posting it on a thread everyone can see.

Anyway, I do like the idea that players get extra modifiers for describing their actions well. It reminds me of when playing D&D, my old dungeon master used to give extra modifiers if the bard player sung.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:32 am

In a random burst of productivity I've written up the stats for the big bad of this adventure! :D I hope I've done it right this time, I've been a bit rubbish at stating things. I keep overestimating them. :P