The Colosseum!

For RPs which do not take place within the linear setting of Pax.
3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 pm

One thing that I notice a lot of in roleplays is that people are pretty hesitant to take hits, and even more hesitant to let their character die. I'm guilty of this myself, and so I thought I'd come up with an RP where this is impossible to avoid. The rules of this roleplay will be quite different to the rules of a normal roleplay, so please read the rest of this post carefully before posting.

There are four roles to play in this roleplay at any one time:
1. The white combatant is the first person to post, they must fight...
2. The black combatant, who is the second person to post.
3. The fates decide how the fight progresses, and can be anybody who is not the white or black combatant. They are an invisible force, unable to be seen or perceived by any other character in any way, but both combatants must abide by their commands.
4. The aureate emperor, who decides whether the victor may go free or be forced to return to their cell. The first person to post at the end of combat may take this role, and must reprieve it immediately afterwards.

I should warn you that this is a roleplay where powerplaying is allowed, to a limited extent. The outcomes of your actions are not decided by yourselves, but by the fates. The fates indicate what action must take place by issuing commands with a number, from 1-6. The white combatant is assigned the numbers 1-3, and the black combatant is assigned numbers 4-6. The extremes (1 & 6) are considered to be the highest numbers while the middle numbers (3 & 4) are considered to be the lowest. With this in mind, the higher your number, the better your attack. This will make sense if you think about it:

A = White and B = Black, in this case. As you can see, it basically works like a mirror.

To clarify:
3/4: A light wound is a superficial wound that does little damage (eg: cuts, bruises, etc.), but can build up over time. Taking three light wounds in a single fight will count as one heavy wound, due to blood loss or other complications.
2/5: A heavy wound is a serious and disabling injury (eg: broken arms, ruptured organs, etc.), which can also build up over time. Taking three heavy wounds in a single fight will cause your character's body too much strain, resulting in them collapsing and dying (note: in this scenario your opponent still wins, but they do not get to kill you).
1/6: An instant kill is exactly what it sounds like.

Think of it like an older video game, like Zelda, where you have hearts to worry about rather than health bars:
A light wound takes out a little piece of heart, a heavy wound takes out a whole heart and an instant kill takes out all three.

So basically two people post to introduce their characters, and then somebody else (ie: the fates) post to announce what will happen. The fates are welcome to be as lengthy or as blunt as they like with their decision, but they must end their post with a number that designates their desired outcome. Eg:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Fates</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>The fates laugh at the foolish mortals and their frivolous antics. They decide that it is time that the Monkey caused some serious damage to the Banana.

2[/quote]
The two combatants will then roleplay the outcome. In the case of this example, Monkey would deal Banana a grievous wound, which they cannot avoid. Monkey would have the first post, since they must attack, and then Banana would post their reaction. For example:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Monkey example</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>A Monkey picks up a fresh looking banana and takes a bit out of it. It chews thoughtfully on the sweet mushy food, confident that this will be an easy victory.[/quote]<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Banana example</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>The Banana screams uncontrollably, in immense pain as it is being eaten alive... or at least, it would scream, but unfortunately, lacking vocal chords, it must instead suffer in agonizing silence.[/quote]
The fates would then post once more, and we'd keep going from there. The same person can post as the fates multiple times should they wish to do so, but they must wait for combatants to post between each of their commands. You cannot line up commands for combatants to follow, they must be given one at a time.

Once a combatant has emerged victorious, it is the aureate emperor's time to shine. The golden monarch simply decides whether the victor lives or returns to their cell, after which the next fight may start. For example:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Aureate emperor</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>The aureate emperor smirks, greatly amused by the upset. He would never have predicted that a Banana could defeat a Monkey, and yet that was exactly what had just taken place. Truly, this Banana was a hardened warrior; tough and tenacious... just the sort of combatant he wanted to see fight here again.

<big>"The combatant is to be returned to their cell&#33;"</big> He proclaimed, raising his hand in an authoritarian, 'make it so' manner. <big>"Let the next fight commence&#33;"</big>[/quote]

Keep in mind that this is meant to be a fairly light-hearted, if somewhat violent, roleplay. Powerplaying is meant to be lax here, and characters are meant to die.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Rules&#33;</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>1. Obey the fates and the emperor&#33; Do as they say; if it says you must attack, attack. If it says you take a hit, take a hit.
2. Two combatants at a time, one white and one black. This should go very quickly so don't worry too much about this.
3. Enter as many times as you like with as many characters as you like.
4. The fates (a team made up of anybody not a combatant) may post once after both the white and black combatants have posted (so effectively once combat begins every third post will be by the fates).
5. The aureate emperor (the second team made up of anybody not a combatant) posts once after one of the combatants dies.
6. Collusion (ie: secret agreements between combatants and the fates/the emperor) is not encouraged, but allowed. If it gets to be a serious problem though I might have to change this rule.
7. You don't have to post using a whole bunch of colours like I did if you don't want to :P[/quote]
Last edited by 3kul on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 pm

You came to Pax like so many others, but before you knew what was happening you were caught by surprise, and captured by forces unknown. Far from Kata and Ana there are the distant asteroid fields of Pax, made from worlds that never quite came to bear fruit. On one such asteroid exists a massive Colosseum, impossible to see from the outside, and nigh impossible to escape from once you're on the inside...

You now find yourself trapped in this Colosseum, locked away in a cell. "Out of yer cell, it's time to fight." A massive insect-like golem greets you, opening your cell door and dragging you out roughly with it's one of it's oversized pincers. It's ten legs clatter down the corridor at a rapid pace as it drags you along against your will, leading you through the murky darkness.

Fight?

"Yer a new one, huh? Well lemme break it down fer ya: this here's tha Colosseum, yer a gladiator; win enough fights ya get to go free, lose and y'get <big>dead</big>. That's all there is to it." The golem forced you roughly down another tunnel, then continues talking. "These tunnels are a gorramn maze; try t'escape and y'll never see tha light a day again. If by some gorramn miracle ya make it t' tha surface y'll find we're floating about in the middle a space. No escape, no rescue - sooner ya get that through yer skull th'better."

Why?

The golem shook it's massive head. "Whadduz it matter? Yer here to entertain and yer audience loves a bloodbath. So y'either make it happen or ya get to be a very... tempery part a th'show, hurr."

What now?

"Fer cryin' out loud, why've I got th'one fulla quesshuns?" The insect snarled. "Look, it's real simple. I drag ya to tha Arena. Ya fight someone. After that I either drag y'back to yer cell or haul yer corpse to th' meathouse. Rinse an' repeat."

Your keeper opens a door and bright light floods the tunnel, nearly blinding you. "So win 'r lose I'll be seein' y'again soon enuff, hurr." With that he shoves you into the open, slamming the door behind you.

<hr />
You look about, feeling a dire need to quickly come to terms with your new surroundings. You are standing in a pit and surrounded by high walls, with a thick metallic cage stretching out overhead. You can see that there is room for a vast audience to watch you past this cage, but there are only three present - a magnificent golden figure draped in fine robes and jewellery. It is surrounded by others who also appear to be very refined, but the golden figure stands out above them all. Royalty? Spirit? God? Hard to say, you can't even tell what gender they are from where you're standing, but it's reasonable to assume that it is in control here.

The figure speaks to you in a booming voice, uttering the one word that could mean your freedom... or your death.

<big>"Fight&#33;"</big>

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 pm

WHITE COMBATANT

A proud and noble beast canters about the arena, throwing it's head back and forth wildly to indicate it's distress at being trapped in such a manner. It looks to be a stag of some sort, but the moment it turns to face you it is clear that it possesses the face of a man.

"Oh&#33; How pitiful&#33; That I, the Man-Faced Stag, should be trapped in such a way&#33;" He strikes a melodramatic pose, casting his gaze upwards to the cruel cage that prevents his escape. Not that he could ever jump that high. His noble brow furrows into an expression of deepest concern. "Oh cruel fates&#33; You whisk me away from my glorious forest to such a dreary and terrible place?" His tone quickly changes to rage, as he unleashes a flurry of kicks on a few pebbles lying nearby. "Well, fie on you&#33; Fie, I say&#33;" The pebbles are receiving a thrashing the likes of which they have never recevied before... Though given that they are pebbles, and not really something that is commonly thrashed, this is not saying very much.

Satisfied that the pebbles have felt enough of his god-like wrath, the Man-Faced Stag turns his attention to his luckless opponent. "Alas, the poor insipid fool." He thought... aloud. "Though I do not know you I shall be forced to kill you&#33; Murder is a most heinous crime, to be sure, but allowing a magnificent beast such as myself to perish, why... that would be an even greater crime&#33; A crime against the very gods themselves&#33;" The Man-Faced Stag paused for a moment, then quickly realized that this statement would be best punctuated with another of his famous melodramatic poses. He strikes one once again; it is agonizingly uncomfortable, but he knows that his pain is akin to that of all the great artists.

It is hard to conclude whether the emperor chose this particular combatant because he genuinely enjoyed his foppish antics or because he wanted to see him silenced in the most brutal manner possible.

((EDIT: Please note that profiles are not necessary for this thread. It's more fun to be caught by surprise anyway ;)

Those struggling to imagine what the MFS looks like... Maybe something like this will do.

EDIT2: 100th post&#33; I guess I talk too much :P ))
Last edited by 3kul on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

The Colosseum!

Post by rosebarks » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm

BLACK COMBATANT

There was a thing, tall female that walked into the area seeming calm. "Why must you fuss? My, you are an ugly one" She spoke her words in an accent that would sound much like a British accent with an Irish twang to it as she watched him and looked around. "Though you are right, this is a dreary place and one needs not be caught in it, but what can we do the rules seem simple enough. Survive or become possible prison food." Her voice seemed to echo years of practice.

Her skin seemed to shimmer in the eyes of the few watching her, clearly she was not a human but she was not from most place, she was a Tioy. A species from a whole other world and yet she was here and she spoke English... Rather well at that. her outfit was flowing and open and looked like she was built for hand to hand combat more than weapons combat though she was often different than looks made her seem. "What is your name Stag boy...That way I can pray to the Gods and Fates when you die in my presence."
Last edited by rosebarks on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

The Colosseum!

Post by rosebarks » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 pm

((I am hoping this does not seem like a bad entry ^^; ))

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 pm

((It is fine, though we must now wait for the fates (ie: anybody who is not you or I) to post with their command. The RP continues once they have chosen our destiny :) ))

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Colosseum!

Post by Tav » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

The fates ponder. . .

If the fates had a face, they would be smirking.
If the fates had a voice, they would be giggling.

A slight brush of wind went across the pit. Nobody knew why, or how, but it was just strong enough to blow some sand into the Black Combatant's eyes. The rest would have to be the White Combatant's doing.

<big>2</big>; Black is heavily wounded.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:08 pm

((Wow, nice post Tav&#33; That's exactly the right kind of post for the fates :) ))

WHITE COMBATANT

The Man-Faced Stag lowers his head, paws the ground fiercely and then belts into... a light trot. It seems completely non-threatening, and fairly stupid looking, as he gaily bounces across the arena.

"I am more than a mere name&#33;" The Man-Faced Stag bellows, tossing his head back as he picks up speed. "I am the embodiment of an existential crisis; a paradoxical entity that both breaks and bonds reality; the very essence of man's struggle against his nature as a beast&#33;" He puffs his chest proudly, tosses his head back once more and strikes a rather ridiculous pose as he continues to trot.

"I am also known as the Man-Faced Stag."

He suddenly stops short, and yet his magnificent, apparently rocket-propelled antlers fly onwards. "FLY ANTLERS, FLYYYYYYYYYYY&#33;" The two antlers fly about erratically and unpredictably, eventually homing in on their target. The Black Combatant is quick to react, but not quite quick enough. She manages to side-step one of the antlers, which flies on into the wall behind her, but in doing so she is caught in their pincer-like formation, and finds herself skewered by the other antler. It buries itself deep into her abdomen in a nasty way, immediately causing intense pain and profuse bleeding.

Thankfully no vital organs are pierced, but she is rapidly losing blood - a dangerous disadvantage in a fight to the death.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

The Colosseum!

Post by rosebarks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 am

She held her wound ripping part of her shirt to make a band quickly as she moved tying it around her side watching him. this was not good. She had to think and think fast her eyes looking around the arna for anything, and everything she could use. Of course she had basic weapons on her, self made daggers from items around the cells.

She also a given sword for the fight as she could use her hands though the sword was maybe 2 feet in length... More like a long dagger in her opinion. "This is not my day, I do not wish to die in a battle so soon&#33;"

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Colosseum!

Post by Tav » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 am

The fates grin, looking down at the blood with their bodiless eyes.

Let's spill more blood. One says
I agree&#33; More&#33; More&#33;
How about the blood in -both- of them?

5; Black attacks, White is heavily wounded.

A voiceless scream in the black combatant's mind says; PLACE THAT DAGGER IN IT'S HAUNCH. It was a voice that couldn't be disobeyed.
Last edited by Tav on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

The Colosseum!

Post by rosebarks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 am

BLACK COMBATANT

She moved and looked at a dagger letting her wound go dual wielding them as she made sure to draw her second one on the way towards the creature. She did not waste energy with poses or with fancy footwork like the Stag did but she moved with precise and specific footing her dagger going into the haunch of the Man-Faced Stag.

She she grinned with glee taking it out as she saw blood being spilled. She quickly backed up flipping once and sliding into a low crouch holding her side from the flip her adrenaline pumping through her entire body by this point.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:45 am

WHITE COMBATANT

"Woe&#33; Woe and miseryyyyyyyy&#33;" The Man-Faced Stag cries in pain as the Black Combatant stabs him in one of his haunches. "My noble buttocks have been pierced&#33;"

The pain is considerable, though the bleeding is not as bad as the Black Combatant's injury. What makes this wound particularly nasty, however, is that it has cut through some of his tendons. Even if he can overcome the pain, the Man-Faced Stag can not walk or run properly on this leg anymore... at least until he receives some kind of treatment, but the only other person down here is the Black Combatant, and even if she is a doctor then the Man-Faced Stag certainly wouldn't want her treating him.

Limping about, he bleats indignantly to his opponent. "You vile perverse miscreant&#33; To disfigure my proud rump is a crime against the very gods who so lovingly sculpted it in the first place&#33;"

One could also argue that considerable psychological damage has been done, for the Man-Faced Stag is evidently a big fan of his own rear end.

((OOC: For anybody else reading this, do note that anyone may play the role of the fates. It's a role played by the first person who posts after both combatants have posted, so don't feel like Tav has this role reserved or anything.

Not that you aren't doing a great job with it Tav, I just want to make sure that people understand the role properly :) ))
Last edited by 3kul on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Colosseum!

Post by Tav » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:50 am

The fates glared. Gods didn't rule here. The forces of chance and luck and nigh-randomness ruled here&#33;

Said forces of chance and luck and nigh-randomness cast their dice. . .

6. Black instantly kills white.

However you like, said the voiceless voice.

((Woo&#33; I literally rolled a die for this.))
Last edited by Tav on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

The Colosseum!

Post by rosebarks » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:01 am

BLACK COMBATANT

The girl looked at him. "Oh stop with the blabbering will you, You are not a god, you are but a Stag with an ego&#33;" The girl stated as she moved around him thinking about her next hit as she pulled a few daggers out of her outfit as she smirked and charged in flipping as she jumped and landed on his body flipping the daggers for show.

While on top of him she smirked wrapping her hands around his body. "It was a nice battle, but..I'm afraid, you die as a mortal beast young one&#33;" She whispered into his ear and slit his throat with one dagger stabbing into his chest and digging the second one in flipping off dragging the dagger with for the maxim damage.
Last edited by rosebarks on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

The Colosseum!

Post by 3kul » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 am

((Interestingly enough Tav, I originally conceived this as a roleplay to be decided by dice rolls (hence the numbers 1-6), but I couldn't figure out how to make sure that nobody felt like they were being cheated. I'm glad that you seem to have enjoyed your role as the fates, you played it quite well :) ))

WHITE COMBATANT

"Blurghl&#33;" The Man-Faced Stag wailed, his precious life fluids spilling from the mortal wound. "Gurglbrlbglr rglglrlbur rurll llarrrgggle lorglgl raerly Ral-Grassssd Lrag&#33;" He seemed to be attempting to wax some final poetry, but evidently his wounds left him incapable of even that much. How cruel&#33; The Man-Faced Stag lamented. That I, the most beautiful beast to ever grace the mortal realm, should die in such an ugly way&#33; Truly the fates must be spiteful and jealous beings, so unable to stand my enviable presence that they must strike me down rather than endure my magnificence for another second longer&#33;

He staggered about a bit more, gurgling and burbling some more final words, then flopped over dead.

The Black Combatant has emerged victorious from this fight, but had she pleased the aureate emperor enough to earn her freedom, or would she be hauled back to her cell to fight another day?

((Well, it was fun while it lasted&#33; Interesting fight rosebarks, although I feel like there is more to your character than you got to express here in this roleplay.

The auerate emperor is to be played by the next person to post (this cannot be either myself or rosebarks, see the first post for more details.))