The State of Pax: Instant

Find the latest information about the board here.
Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 am

Howdy gang! I'm broke!

Well. Not really, but university easily does that to you, so while I'm in school I really need to manage my finances a bit better. Unfortunately, this means I can't keep up the renewal fees on seemingly everyone's favorite forum add-on, Pax: Instant.

Without money, the box will be demoted to a basic account, which means we absolutely can still use it, but self-refreshing won't work. You'll have to manually refresh the page to get new messages.

So... What can we do? I don't really know. We either let it run out, or if you guys can donate spare change, we might gather enough money to keep it premium. I understand a lot of you are in the same boat, so I don't want to directly ask for donations, we can talk about that if enough people think they can help in that regard.

We've only got one month left. Pax: Instant will expire on March 4th if we decide not to renew it.

TLDR: Cbox costs money. CP can't keep paying for it out of his own pocket. What do we wanna do?

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:17 am

Set up a PayPal donation account maybe? How much does it cost for the premium account?

Jent
Librarian of Pax
Librarian of Pax
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Jent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 am

I can send five at the moment, not sure if there is some weird fee from U.S. to Canada. :/

Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:24 am

If we wanna do the paypal thing I can set up an account. Then there shouldn't be any weird fees or anything Jent.

sadisticnerd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sadisticnerd » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:25 am

Well, I don't have any money, but I do know things we could do in case the chatbox ends up like that.
The commonly used term for what I suggest using is "Internet Relay Chat"( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat ).There are many tools for it, and I would rather have CoolPikaa decide on what tool we use, or we set a public pool between the most popular ones.
alternatively, we could use this other tool: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ (I've never used the create new team website, I'm not sure if it is free or not, but if it is not, the public pad can work like a pseudo-chatbox.)
I do not wish for the chatbox to disappear, so I hope we get some donations, but if not, we can plan for the worst.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:26 am

*Pokes CP* How much does it cost?

Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:37 am

$6 USD per quarter year.

It's really not a lot. But at the same time, I REALLY have to kill these things off my credit card.

As for IRC, I don't like it for quite a few reasons.

1) No avatars. As an RP community this is really, really nice to have.
2) No chat logs? I'm not 100% certain, some carriers might provide the feature, but if we don't have logs we might as well not have the box. Without being easily able to see what's happened before you can't just pop into the RP or conversation.

sadisticnerd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sadisticnerd » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:41 am

I understand your opnion of the IRC,but what about the mozila pad, if you don't mind me asking?If you are too busy, I can start the 'team website' mentioned there by myself, to see how it works out.

Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:46 am

I've looked into that too.

It's basically working on one word document together? Can that even be embedded into Pax?

sadisticnerd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sadisticnerd » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:01 am

Yes, because it is an open-source if you search for the term 'etherpad'.This is just a branch of the system.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:12 am

Hmmm, I may be able to donate some for that small of an amount.

Coolpikaaa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Coolpikaaa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:48 am

There is now a donate button on top of Instant.

<big>NO ONE NEEDS TO FEEL PRESSURED TO DONATE.</big> I feel super awkward it's even there... I just put it up because some of you guys offered.

But, any change you can chip in goes toward keeping the Cbox at premium.