rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

Magic Tech High Discussion

Post by rosebarks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 am

Alright I need to also know what you all think for the ideas:

Continue with set subjects of go in between classes and go through before, lunch, and after school times? and the activities outside of classes?

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>3kul</dt><dd>Jan 12 2011, 04:36 PM</dd></dl><div>EDIT2: Evolutionary biology begins&#33; Swix, feel free to share control of CHARWIN with me if you like :)[/quote]Ah, oops, sorry didn't see this part before my last post 3kul :(

EDIT: To remind herself not to open her big mouth before being told all the facts (and no, Swix has no idea why she is referring to herself in the third person...)
Last edited by Swix on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>rosebarks</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Lol. Like dorms and Sorority type stuff 3kul? or what do you mean...Like Harry potter house things?[/quote]
Well, they're not exclusive to Harry Potter, but yet, that's pretty much what I meant. Not dorms... But I suppose that could make things more interesting in the long run, and it would make sense for an elite school like MTH to be a boarding school.

As for the houses, you could split them however you like. Perhaps three houses representing magic users, technology users and those who use both proficiently, seeing as how that is kind of the driving theme of the school? Or the houses could be more similar to the Harry Potter kind, based off personality traits, or you could go for classical elements (Fire, Earth, Air, Water) or... anything&#33; :P

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>rosebarks</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Edit: Yes you should put it where you want, seeing as it is similar and THANK YOU 3KUL FOR THAT HELP&#33; XDD[/quote]
No problem. I've gone ahead and created a simple timetable creator in Excel for future people to use to quickly sort out their timetable. You can use drop-down menus to select from the subjects available for each period, or to leave yourself with 'OTHER', an extra subject of your choice. You can get the timetable creator here.

Unfortunately most of the formatting doesn't work so well for older versions of Excel, so this spreadsheet will only work for people using Excel 2007 or newer. For those of you who don't keep up to date with the latest in spreadsheet technology, you'll have to make do with the following image that outlines what subjects have been locked in for what specific periods so far:

I'll do my best to keep this stuff up to date as more people join this RP.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>rosebarks</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Continue with set subjects of go in between classes and go through before, lunch, and after school times? and the activities outside of classes?[/quote]
To re-cap, we're going to need to rethink how this RP works in order to avoid horrendous cases of RP lag, and to avoid having ten pages covering a one hour lesson (which would mean that it would take us over 80 pages to reach the end of the first day :blink: ).

The options that I suggested earlier are as follows:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>3kul</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>The first [option] is to strip back the curriculum and create several broad subjects that we much all attend. This would be much easier to manage, and give us all a lot more time to interact with each other, but would probably feel severely limiting.[/quote]
Basically, we have subjects like 'science' and 'magic' instead of 'nanotechnology' and 'ritualism'. Students in these classes learn some general skills to begin with, then steadily branch out into more obscure directions as their natural inclinations become obvious. You would have more freedom to focus on exactly what you want your character to study with assignments and homework, while at the same time you'd be challenged to have your character improve in areas that they might find difficult. This would be easier to manage as we would all be roleplaying in the same classes, and as an added bonus we'd get to spend more time interacting with each other rather than having to create an entire high school's worth of NPCs to talk to :P

That said, the obvious downside is that your character would be forced to learn things that you might not want them to learn, and they wouldn't get to spend as much time focusing on the specific areas that you want them to focus on. Additionally, it might be difficult to link the basic skills that all students would learn to the more advanced and obscure things that you want them to learn.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>3kul</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>The other potential solution is to play things out Harry Potter style, Did you notice how in the later books you barely ever read about their classes? This solution would see us treating our subjects as 'off screen' elements - we don't roleplay our classes, but acknowledge them as something that exists and something that we're regularly attending, and instead roleplay before, between and after classes while focusing on over-arching plots relating to the school or our characters. This would make the roleplay move forward a lot quicker, but some people may miss the classroom elements.[/quote]
In this case we'd keep our obscure classes, but we wouldn't spend much time in them, if any at all. Classes are talked about in the past-tense, something that's already happened, and knowledge is accumulated at a steady rate as a result of this. Homework and assignments can still be a part of the roleplay, but classes take a back seat to allow us to focus on high school drama, as well as personal or school-wide plots.

Again, the big downside to this is that you'll miss out on classes entirely, which does seem like a shame. Another major downside that I did not consider for this option earlier is that it will be require some OOC discussion to decide with your 'classmates' what happened during lessons that you took with them. This is easy for classes in which you are the only person enrolled, but when there's three of you in the same class it might take you time to reach an agreement, and stall the RP.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it I'd personally rather the Harry Potter option (#2). My character is enrolled in mostly science classes so he'd be kind of screwed if he had to cram all of that into one general 'science' lesson.
Last edited by 3kul on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rosebarks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

That is why I was thinking that cause many of us took seperate classes and there are a select few classes like gym that have many of us in them. I was thinking the Harry Potter Idea would work best but the 'Houses' would also not be personality like. I enjoy the idea that you represented with the idea it can be based on how the characters are. Perhaps:

Hose 1: Tech people
house 2: active people (ie: gym stars and those who are more physically active)
house 3: magical people
house 4: the gamers

That's just an Idea... I would like to ask EvERYONE in the RP what they think would be best for the houses so that I have some input and not making solo decisions that people would not enjoy.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:52 am

I think that I like the idea of splitting houses by what people want their characters to focus on is good, and it suits this RP... But gamers? What is that supposed to represent?

I'd only change the last house (but that's largely because I don't know what it is), so we'd have the following four houses:
Tech. House - for those students with an aptitude for technology.
Phys. House - for those students who excel in any physical activity.
Magi. House - for those students who have great potential with magic.
Mix. House - for those students who are a 'jack-of-all-trades', capable of fitting into more than one or all of the previous three houses.

I'd suggest that students are put into houses based on what people want for their characters, rather than what subjects they've chosen. I think that we're all capable of picking reasonably, and if anybody isn't certain which house they'd belong to we can discuss it here.

What does everybody else think? Is this a good way of dividing houses, or would you rather do it a different way? :)

Okura
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Okura » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 pm

I think that's a good way of dividing them. Lucas would probably slot into the "Mix. House" since he has a way with technology, but he also excels in physical activity.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Hmmm, about the Houses if we do go that way, Paola would be in the 'Mix' house simply because she wouldn't fit into any of the others :O.
Last edited by Swix on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Hm, I'm a bit worried that too many people will feel forced to choose the Mix house... Would it help if we divided it further? What if you could choose from these houses:
Magi. House - for those students who have great potential with magic.
Tech.+Phys. House - for those students who are skilled with both technology and physical activities.
Tech.+Magi. House - for those students who are knowledgeable in both technology and magic.
Magi.+Phys. House - for those students who are gifted in both magic and physical abilities.
Mix. House - for those students who are a 'jack-of-all-trades', capable of fitting into all houses.

Also I've made a thread in the database (see here) for Magic Tech High student NPC profiles to be placed. It's easier to have them all where anybody can see them so that we can look up NPCs easily if we ever need to interact with them.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Uh, maybe I should have elaborated more on what I meant by 'doesn't fit' (I apologise, as I'm on my phone again). Paola is primarily gifted in 'Psy' or 'Psi' abilities, things of the mind, so magic doesn't really fit-she only took paraprychology because she thought it would be interesting (and partially to spite her mother) and magical creature handling because she figures it'll come in useful. Of course, I could be missing something here in that I'm fairly sure magic and psy are not mutually exclusive (as some magic can bestow psy on chars), so you guys are effectively putting them in the same place and I'm just missing it completely XD.

Nor does Tech, because as you've seen she hasn't really warmed up to computers yet-and for her char development I'd rather she not more than necessary. The Physical one, well, she's a physically small, weak little girl so there's absolutely no chance of her ending up in there :P.

EDIT: Hmm, I just though, how about a 'Para' House as that'll include both psy and magic? Just a suggestion :)
Last edited by Swix on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Hm, I like the idea of a paranormal house, but would it really go together with magic? Magic is something that you learn, but psychic abilities and such is something that you learn to control... You're either born with them or not, right?

So maybe we should have the following five houses:
Magi. House - for those students who have a gift for magic.
Para. House - for those students who have great potential with paranormal abilities.
Mix. House - for those students who are a 'jack-of-all-trades', capable of fitting into all houses.

What do you think?
Last edited by 3kul on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GBE
Evil Council Member
Evil Council Member
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GBE » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 pm

First:

My planned lesson schedule for Seth:

P1: GYM: a range of physical activities and sports that will alternate regularly.
P2: ADVANCED ENGINEERING: the study of robotics, machines, construction and design schematics.
P3: CYBER-BIOLOGY: the study of enhancing/repairing physiology with cybernetic implants
P4: NANOTECHNOLOGY: the study of exploratory engineering or manipulating matter on an atomic and molecular level.
Lunch: Lunch
P5: FLIGHT- for those wishing to learn how to fly using wings, brooms, or magic in general.
P6: BUSINESS ECONOMICS: the study of business management and applied economics
P7: WOLRD LITERATURE: a study of the worlds literature
P8: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS: for those wishing to study more than one form of martial arts

Secondly:

The Harry Potter style of before, after and in-between classes sounds fine by me. Perhaps we could include a few activities where everyone gets to be included together, like a school event thing or something...?

Thirdly:

Generally speaking, when a school is divided it's done evenly isn't it? So how about:

Science (covers tech, physics etc..)
Mind and Magic (covers magic, paranormal etc..)
Arts and Crafts (writers, painters etc..)
Mix (otherwise a balance/mix of the others)

What do you think..?

Would the shcools be named after famous (fictionally famous) or donators to Magic Tech High..?

If so, then there's going to be everyone giving a name each for the school if they want and a site wide poll :p

GBE

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Swix » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>3kul</dt><dd>Jan 15 2011, 05:29 PM</dd></dl><div>Hm, I like the idea of a paranormal house, but would it really go together with magic? Magic is something that you learn, but psychic abilities and such is something that you learn to control... You're either born with them or not, right?

So maybe we should have the following five houses:
Para. House - for those students who have great potential with paranormal abilities.

What do you think?[/quote]Hmmm, you have a point there. I think that list of houses'll probably work much better 3kul.

Also, GBE, you missed out the 'Physically gifted' people (also, hi&#33;), plus, dividing one very large group into five shouldn't be all that hard really XD.

... Huh, all this talk of houses is making me miss my old 'highschool', that had the last names of donators and the founders for each house (we called them 'Forms') however, they'd go through having odd and even numbers of 'Forms' (there was only one originally, now they have six) so they don't necessarily have to be an even number GBE ;)

rosebarks
Blackstar Refuge
Blackstar Refuge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rosebarks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 am

I like what 3Kull has done but I also like GBE's ideal what if y&#092;we kinda combined them..making the houses simple but at the same time maybe having sub houses..I'm not sure and Sorry for not being on for sooo long I've been caught up in my life out side the computer. Been busy with job, and trying to adjust to having a boyfriend in my life while not getting sigh so I am very very sorry.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 pm

I've also been a bit slack with Pax lately, sorry guys. I don't have any really good excuse, I've just been lacking a bit in inspiration -_-

I went ahead and updated the MTH Timetable Helper. You can download the Excel version here (again, please note that this will only work with newer versions of excel) or view it below:

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GBE</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Thirdly:

Generally speaking, when a school is divided it's done evenly isn't it? So how about:

Science (covers tech, physics etc..)
Mind and Magic (covers magic, paranormal etc..)
Arts and Crafts (writers, painters etc..)
Mix (otherwise a balance/mix of the others)

What do you think..?[/quote]I know I'm going to sound biased in preferring my own model but I can't help but feel like you're over-simplifying it a bit too much with your house suggestions GBE. As I mentioned to Swix I don't think that magic and paranormal abilities go hand-in-hand too well... At the very least, I don't think that sports-based students should be lumped together with science-based students. That seems like you're just asking for trouble ;)

Also, while I'm sure there will be some people who support the idea of an Arts and Crafts exclusive house, I don't believe that any characters currently in the roleplay would actually be able to be a part of it, as nobody has solely arts and/or crafts subjects in their timetable. In fact, as far as I can tell, there are only four subjects that would really fall into such a category (English, Art, Cooking and most recently, World Literature).

Additionally, I kind of feel that a school that prides itself on being the best in both magic and technology might not value the arts enough to devote an entire house to it... But that's just my point of view :P

On the topic of odd and even numbers of houses... I don't think that it really matters, but as an added bonus with five schools we've essentially got a pentagram arrangement, which is loaded with all kinds of symbolism that would suit a school steeped in magic quite well. There's also the mathematical/geometrical beauty of the pentagram that can appeal to the science elements in the school.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>rosebarks</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>making the houses simple but at the same time maybe having sub houses[/quote]I kind of like this idea (makes me think of clubs like they have in Japanese schools) but I don't think that we have enough participants in this RP to make it work :(

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GBE</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Would the shcools be named after famous (fictionally famous) or donators to Magic Tech High..?[/quote]I like the sound of that. Maybe they could be named after old Blackstar characters? :D
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GBE</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>If so, then there's going to be everyone giving a name each for the school if they want and a site wide poll :p[/quote]I'd guess that the decision would be up to rosebarks first - the entire school was built and is currently owned by one of her characters, after all. If she's happy to let it go to a vote then that's cool too :)

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Swix</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>... Huh, all this talk of houses is making me miss my old 'highschool', that had the last names of donators and the founders for each house...[/quote]In my school I think that they took the house names from history/literature, though I don't know where they are all from. We had Sherwood, Athelstane, Lincoln and Thoresby. When I was younger the junior school had different names for the houses (Yeomen, Lancers, Foresters and Archers - all names for different kinds of people), but I think that they use the same names the whole way through now.

My sister's school had six different houses, which (according to wikipedia) are all named after characters and places in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe (it's worth noting that the school is called 'Ivanhoe Girls Grammar School' and is located in the suburb of Ivanhoe :P ): Ashby, Rowena, Oswald, Rotherwood, Locksley and York.

Wikipedia gives the following advice on picking house names:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Wikipedia</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Pupils are likely to be divided into a number of houses, which are often named after saints, famous historical alumni or notable regional landmarks (at international schools, for example, houses may be named after famous local people). Other more arbitrary names – animal names or colours, for example – may be used where the house system is adopted by a primary school.[/quote]Hm, I suppose that we'd also have to decide on colours and any other symbols or imagery that we'd like to go with the houses?
Last edited by 3kul on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Double-posting because I'd like for this to not get lost in the middle of my last post, which was kind of big (sorry about that).

Just out of curiosity, assuming that we were to go with my suggested model for houses:
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Tech. House - for those students with an aptitude for technology.
Mix. House - for those students who are a 'jack-of-all-trades', capable of fitting into all houses.[/quote]
Which house do you feel that your character + NPCs would fit into? I'm just interested in seeing what kind of a spread we actually have here, and whether or not the model that I've suggested is actually reasonable. It could be that with five houses we're too thinly spread, so perhaps a more compact model like GBE's would be better... But I'd like to see where people feel that they'd fit in first.

Please copy & paste the following list into your post, adding your own character and NPCs to it :)

Tech. House - Eugene Serpells (3kul), Krii Klesta (NPC)
Phys. House -
Magi. House - Natanga (NPC)
Para. House -
Mix. House -